Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Good-bye Tirimbina (Brian Shipp)

Well, this is the last chance that I have to post a blog here in Costa Rica.  We head out of Tirmibina on Saturday and it will be a bitter sweet departure.  I’ll be sad to leave but excited for my next adventure to the rafting camp at Guayacan.  The past few days have been full of excitement.  My night time amphibian/reptile surveys have been very eventful with the finding of lots of different toads, frogs, snakes, etc.  The other night we came across a Cloudy Snail-eating snake which I had the opportunity to hold.  It was a really cool looking snake that gave off a funky odor, but it was still awesome to hold.  We also found a salamander which is a pretty rare find in these parts of Costa Rica.  During the day myself and some other students have had fun playing with David (pronounced Daveed) who is the resident chef Laura’s (pronounced Lowwra) son.  We have played a few games of soccer, large wood tower (which we know as Jenga) and swimming in the river.  He really seems to enjoy our company which is nice.  Today my team started our first day of Ficus research.  With the help of our guide Emmanuel, we identify which bird species are using the Ficus’ fruits as a food source.  There are so many beautiful birds here and a lot of them have vibrant colours.  The Tanangers in particular stick out in my mind with very bright colours of blues, yellows and reds.  Tomorrow is my last day of work here at Tirmibina.  We have a 10 mile hike ahead of us to Guayacan on Saturday that will be a welcome challenge.  It will be fun to push myself to get there in one piece.  I look forward to seeing all my friends and family but will be sad to leave.  Meghan, you’re awesome for picking me up at three in the morning in London on Thursday (I told you I’d give you a shout out haha).  Pura vida!


Surviving in the Dark (Andrea Follett)

Hola! I survived the PM reptile and amphibian surveys, which I’ll admit I was somewhat worried about. The highlight of the evening surveys was finding a salamander on a plant near the forest floor (very uncommon, this was the first salamander observed by Josh F. in Costa Rica!) Today, our group began identification of fruit-eating birds associated with different species of Ficus trees. Though I don’t find this as interactive as the reptile and amphibian surveys, I love watching and identifying tropical birds (including Canadian migrants!) We also saw two epic birds: the squirrel cuckoo and the slatey-tailed trogon (though not associated with the Ficus trees) and a two-toed sloth, a mammal I’ve always wanted to see in its natural habitat. I am sad to be leaving the Tirimbina biological reserve, but also curious and intrigued about the adventures that lie ahead in the upcoming week. I am prepared for the unexpected – bring it on. Pura vida!

Never a Dull Moment (Radek Odolczyk)

Buenas noches! There is never a dull moment here at Tirimbina. For example, earlier today we were sitting around reading and writing our journal, when who but a southern scorpion snake decided to join us on our patio. I assisted Josh in identifying my first snake, and was quite pleased with myself.
Speaking of snakes, we saw the most dazzling looking snake my eyes have ever witnessed. When we spotted it scurrying off the path with our flashlights it looked like it was glowing purple similar to a glow stick at a rave. Josh proceeded to catch the serpent and informed us that it was a Smokey snail-eating snake. Its beauty continued to impress me when I had the opportunity to handle my first wild snake. It is a dark coloured snake, mottled with grey and silver specks. It released a musk in self-defense but this did not bother me none as I’m quite used to foul odours by now.
We began our Ficus phenology surveys today, in which we observe the relationship between the Ficus tree and what birds feed off its fruits. The highlight of this day was spotting a Squirrel Cuckoo with has a very long tail in proportion to it’s body, which is beautifully striped black and white. Not to take anything away from the Canadian wilderness, but there is so much natural beauty here in thanks to the richness in diversity it is hard to take it all in. One thing at a time is the only way I can handle it.
Tomorrow is our last night here, and then of to Guayacan for further adventuring. See you all soon!
Pura Vida

No comments:

Post a Comment